Independent Selection of Audition Material

                                                         All's well that end well  Shakespeare Monologue   All's well that end well:  William Shakespeare Character: Helena  Author - Willam Shakespeare  Willam Shakespeare was born on 23rd of April, he was an English poet, playwright and actor. He wrote approximately 38 plays including Macbeth, All's well that end well and Othello, 154 sonnets and two long narrative poems.  All's well that end well is one of the number one tragedies play, this was an odd mixture of fairy tales logic and the play was classified as comedy or tragedy.  The reason why I  chose this monologue because it was different to the others play that he wrote. In my opinion, this play is based on love and obsession. My character Helena used to be an orphan until the famous physician, who is countess of Roussillon, adopted her. Helena starts to fall in love with Count Bertram who is basically her brother, however when she finds out that King is ill and visits Paris to use her father arts and takes advantages of choosing her husband which is Bertram but shortly after their marriage, Bertram falls in love with another woman named Diana and things goes out of hand. This monologue is little bit relatable because she wasn't afraid to confess her feeling towards Bertram which relates to me because of it to me some time to tell my parents that I wanted to do something love The situation in the monologue is that Helena and countness were having a conversation which leads her confessing her love for Bertram. During the conversation, the countess kept on saying Helena and Bertram are siblings which caught Helena off guard and made countess realise that Helena was in love with her son. What made in interested in this monologue is the fact that Helena was a little bit crazy for example she faked her death because she thought, she was gonna get her Bertram back. another reason is that she wasn't afraid to confess her even though countess raised her and what made want to do this monologue is that Helena was determined to get what she wants. Shakespeare language was a challenge because it was difficult to understand what was going on in the monologue and also find it hard to pronounce some words however when I start doing my research and using the dictionary was helpful. My character objective is to get countess to accept her love and make her understand that she and Bertram are not blood-related.My strength for realism is going well because I'm using my imagination and making sure eye line is not a different place but staying in one place. The monologue is written in poetry, prose (how ordinary people talk every day). The effect is that Helen sounds a little sing-songy, almost as if she's chanting, by the way, the witches in Macbeth speak in rhyming couplets when they're casting spells but a little bit. The rhythm of the monologue is slow in the beginning of monologue, because of the current situation my character in, for example, in the beginning, the monologue ,she talks slowly because she doesn't know if it's right to tell the countess how she feels about her son but then the rhythm goes fast throughout the monologue, when she expressing her feeling.                                                               
 Buried Child  Contemporary Monologue  Buried Child: Sam Shepard Character: Shelly  Author - Sam Shepard:  Samuel Shepard Roger III was born on November 5th, 1943, he was an American playwright, actor, author, screenwriter and director. Sam Shepard's play was known for their bleak, poetic, often surrealist elements, black humour and rootless characters living on the outskirts of American society. In his early career, Sam did not direct his play, he got different directors, for example, Robert woodruff. Both of them were close, Robert woodruff directed the play Buried child along with the other plays that Shepard wrote.The broadway production in 1996 was nominated for five Tony Awards, in the best play. The reason why I chose this monologue because the play is extremely dark but at the same, it has a sense of humour. This play is full of family drama and dark secrets , this is based on a family who are violently dysfunctional and their life unstable for example his family always ranting, alcoholic grandparents (Dodge and Halie) and their two sons: Tilden, a hulking semi-idiot, and Bradley, who has lost one leg to a chain saw.Later on in the play the dark secret starts to be revealed and the character Vince which is part of the family founds out that he was unwanted newborn, who was left in the backyard and what makes it worst, Vince invites Shelly his girlfriend  (who I'm playing) to New Mexico to meet his family that hasn't seen for five years. When my character Shelly visits the family, she thinks that they are normal but when she actually meets them, she realised that all of them are crazy and finds out the secret that they kept from her boyfriend, she starts to question the family with anger and confusion. Some of the parts of the monologue I can relate for example Vince finding out the dark secret. I find this relatable because in my personal life, there are many secrets that I find out and the reaction that Shelly had when the secret came out, was the reaction that I had when I find out. I can also relate to Vince grandparents because they are alcoholic and I had a family member who also loved to drink. What made me interested in the monologue is the fact that Shelly was demanding for an answer and also she was confused about the situation.Another reason why I'm interested is because the family still accept Vince even know they were crazy, each character had a story and been through something. Vince and Shelly are both in their 20s, trying to live their life and trying to pursue their dreams. This monologue was a challenge because I had to visualise each character, whenever I did my monologue but what helped me was doing my research and knowing why my objective which was to make each and one them feel guilty for keeping secret from Vince.The language wasn't a challenge for me because the play is modern and easy for me to understand but had to improve my articulation because whenever I performed it, the audience didn't really understand what I was saying but I went over my monologue and I made sure that I was saying the words right.The writing style is different to Shakespeare monologue because Shepard wanted to write about the frustration of American people but at the same he wanted it to be engaging and entertaining. When shelly finds out there's something going on in Vince family, she was determined to uncover the family secret and also Sceptical of family relation. My character objective is to make the family guilty for not telling Vince that he's not blood-related and try and get them to confess. My strength in realism is improving because I  allowed myself to visualise the characters and listen to their respond and my articulation has improved. The rhythm of this monologue is fast because my character Is in a situation we're she just find out that her boyfriend is not part of the family and she demands for answers.

Comments

Popular Posts